The Girls Brigade was founded in 1893 in Dublin, Eire. The Little Thetford company was first formed at the request of Sister Doreen Mudge, Deaconess of Little Thetford Baptist Church. Rene Cockerton, June Cranwell, and Gwen Taylor agreed to take on the Challenge to form the company, with Rene Cockerton as its first Captain. A position she was to hold for the next 30 years. The company was formed at an inaugural meeting on January 5th 1971. 15 girls were present, Jacqueline Taylor, Deborah Peacock, Trudy Cummings, Caroline Smith, Angela Taylor, Coral Taylor, AngeJa Emson, Louise Badcock, Linda Cockerton, Catherine Martin, Heidi Coyle, Maureen Peacock, Kay Rich, Julie Badcock and Sally Moran.
These girls were the first company members, made up of 1 Brigader, 3 Seniors, 7 Juniors, and 4 Explorers. The Company was affiliated to the Baptist Church on April 25th 1971. The company went on to attract girls from Stretham and Wilburton. Fund raising of the fledgling company was a major effort. This was achieved by reviving a form of Bob – a – Job Week, Jumble Sales serving light lunches, gardening, washing-up, cleaning, sponsored walks, etc. All the officers and girls being involved in the various tasks. One important event that the officers and girls took part in was The Girls Brigade Centenary Rally. This took place on the 8th May 1993 at The Royal Albert Hall London. Little Thetford girls provided the standard bearers for the occasion.
|The following interactive photos are since 6 July 2011|