|Little Thetford is a little village, and there is little written about it - indeed many writers only mention it in passing as a diversion on the road between Stretham and Ely.
People have however lived in and around Little Thetford for many hundreds of years: it was known to Bronze Age Man, it had a chapel in the 1300's, people were prepared to fight to save their lands in the early 1830's, railway speculators built lines around it - the happenings are numerous.
This booklet recounts a very few of these activities, some of the stories about some of the building and their occupants.
It is a compilation of information written by others, by professional historians and archaeologists, by village farmers and newspaper correspondents, all of which has come to be lodged in the 'Cambridgeshire Collection' at the County Library in Lion Yard, Cambridge. Although written by others much of it has not been available for over 100 years, indeed the extracts from the 'Cambridge Chronicle' have probably not been read since they were published in 1778 and 1899.
This is intended as a starting point for others, for village folk, to develop, expand, correct. To encourage an interest in a settlement which maybe Little in name and size, but truly Great in interest.
Pat and Mike Petty, February, 1981.