Researched by Alan Hall for the St. George's Church Flower Festival May 2009
Little Thetford in the 19th Century
With Notes from Peter Cockerton

Church of England

Church of England

1222
Arnule
1276
Thomas de Wymbisse
1302
Richardus de Dogelly
1338
William de Hatherston, Nicholas de Bagthorpe (Sub Deacon)
1351
Robert Seyr
1366
Robert de Stratton, (Prebendary of Masam in York Cathedral and Prebendary of Biggleswade Lincoln Catherdral)
1383
William de Osgodby
1383
John Lindesay
1407
William Burgess
1415
John Braunston, William Spalding
1458
Richard Redman
1488
John Ryplingham
1488
Richard Ryplingham
1523
Richard Ryssley D.D.
1554
John Younge D.D.
1559
Lancelot Rydley D.D.
1570
John Parker M.A. (Archdeacon of Ely and later Bishop of Exeter)
1592
Edwin Jones
1597
William Lawrence
1621
Ralp Brownrigg

1623

Nicholas Fenton (Deprived by Earl of Manchester and Parliamentary Visitor)

1643

Matthew Clarke, Robert Car (Rector in the time of Usurper Richard Cromwell)

1662
Henry Brumsell L.L.D
1678
Richard Oldham B.D.
1690
Robert Kempe
1696
Ralph Perkins L.L.D
1727
Charles Thomas
1771
James Browne
1784
John Swaine
1802
Caesar Morgan
1813
Henry Law
1824
J. Henry Sparke M.A. (Canon of Ely)
1828
Henry Harvey Baber M.A.
1869
Hugh Pigot M.A.

1885

J.W. Cockshott M.A. (Hon Cannon of Ely)

1906
S. Stewart Stitt M.A.
1945
John E. Cowgill B.A.
1952
George W. Loughborough A.K.C.
1955
Dennis FouldS B.A.
1966
John Hornby A.K.C.
1974
John S. Askey
1994
(From 1994 incumbents are known as Team Vicars)
1994
Malcom Raby
1999
John Sansom
2005
Pauline Scott
2009
Margaret Harpe
Note: Before 1374 there were three churches in Little Thetford -
  1. Haveryngmere, situated on Chapel Hill, near the ferry
  2. Church of Etheldreda, the site of which cannot be traced, and
  3. The present Church of St. George
Baptist Church
The chapel built in 1839 became too small and the present building was built on the same site in 1867.

Names of those led by God to be Pastors and leaders of the Baptist Church appointed to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ for the salvation of souls at Little Thetford.

  • 1839-1842 : Rev William Harris (Landbeach)
  • 1865-1886 : Rev Henry Bereford Robinson (Haddenham)
  • 1889-1896 : Rev Fred Wheaton Dunster (Soham)
  • 1897-1945 : Rev Alfred Robert Routledge (Stretham)
  • 1942-1948 : Rev R. F. Gascoyne (Hahhenham)
  • 1948-1951 : Rev Arthur Tilling (Haddenham)

In 1952 the church departed from being held by one of the larger churches such as Haddenham, and the Wiburton group of churches was formed. The four churches were Wilburton, Aldreth, Witchford and Little Thetford under the charge of a Deaconess.

  • 1952-1957 : Sister Cynthia Allegro
  • 1961-1967 : Sister Kathleen Simons
  • 1970-1972 : Sister Doreen Mudge

In 1972 Little Thetford became totally autonomous.

  • 1972 - 2009 : Pastor Peter John Cockerton
  • 2009 - present : Pastor Tudor Parsons